Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FYI-Track and Field Part I




Hey! Today I am starting a new part of my blog the FYI (for your information) section, a weekly post about all things health related! This will include diet/food, exercise, sports, and more! Today I decided to start this section off by talking about the sport I am currently involved in, Track and Field! This week I will do part one, which will include distance running, throws, and pole vault (stay tuned next week for sprints, jumps, and hurdles).

Distance Running: These are the events I do, so they are my personal favorite of track :) They consist of the 800 meters (2 laps), 1500 meters (3 and 3/4 laps), and 3000 me
ters (7 and 1/2 laps) for high school. In college they also have the 3000 meter steeplechase (four barriers and one water jump, see picture below), the 5000 meters and the 10,000 meters (25 laps!!!).

Throws: In high school, throws are javelin, shot put, and discus. In college there is also the hammer throw (picture below). I don't really know a whole lot about throws, but if you have any questions, comment and I will try to answer it :)
Pole vault: Pole vault it pretty self explanatory. You use a pole to propel yourself over a bar, starting at a low hight and continuing until you FAIL. The men's world record is 20ft 1 and 3/4 inches, women's is 16 ft 7 and 1/4 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment